From the mid-eighteenth century onwards, the Grand Dukes of Lorena encouraged
numerous redevelopment and land drainage initiatives, which improved life conditions in
Tuscany. The Lorena, as well as the Medici, had a very important role regarding this region’s
growth and development. They were great benefactors and illuminated politicians who
surrounded themselves with the best artists, architects and scientists of their time. Among
their most significant reforms we remember abolishing torture and death penalties, following Cesare Beccaria’s principles.
Casa Rossa Ximenes was built in 1765 by jesuit engineer and mathematician Leonardo Ximenes, on commission of Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo, who undertook the first land drainage projects in Maremma.
The floodgates that regulated the water flows are still preserved inside the building.
Nowadays the complex is used as a territorial Natural Historical Museum.
Technological structures such as locks, bulkheads and various gears are now still present
and characterize the internal and external environments, still working, even if not used.
a cura di Olivia Bruschettini
Red House Opening Hours
tel: 0564 927244